Hair Toil Part 3

My hair is now in a Bob style, chopped off a lot of length (only 3 people at the office noticed!) and for the last fortnight I have been treating it with Philip Kingsley Elasticizer to get it in super good condition for the assault of bleach and dyes to transition to grey. If it's good enough for Audrey Hepburn its good enough for me! The aim was to gain some silver lights to help blend in the white hairs when I stopped dyeing my hair black.

Well it did not go according to plan ... my stubborn white hairs did not take the grey metallic dye and the bleach process did not lift the black colour out enough (even though I did it twice) and was left with ginger hair! Maybe I should have used a more powerful bleach rather than the kit by L'Oreal Colorista Effects Ombre kit . The first attempt left my hair red even though I left the developer on for the full 45 minutes and followed the instructions really carefully. Look at me giving the evil eye lol

So I attempted to repeat the process again but this time added in a sachet of ColourpHlex which helps to rebuild the hairshaft and avoid your hair breaking and snapping off from the harsh bleach treatment. You can buy it here and its a dupe for  Olaplex
My hair did feel very soft and manageable afterwards but still not enough of the black was stripped away - I have done this before in a salon where they got a lot of the colour out and was left with canary yellow. 
Can you spot the pesky wiry white hairs here? So attempt 2 did not work and I am left with a lot of patchy orange hair looking like tiger stripes. Luckily for me this is underneath so I was able to re-part my hair and hide it. I re-washed my hair with a violet shampoo to see if this would take away the brassiness and tone it down, then I waited a day to give my hair a chance to recover. I have never felt more like Ginger Spice 'Spice up your life nah nah nah nah etc.'

 
Next day I applied Colour Freedom Metallic Glory Stone grey and waited for the full 25 mins for it to develop. You can see in the photo above the ginger still coming through. 
After washing it out and adding the conditioner I dried my hair to see the results. The colour had darkened down but yep still ginger and the white hairs did not grab any of the grey colour and stayed white! 
At first I thought maybe the harsh bathroom light made it seem brighter so I went to check out my reflection in the hallway. Nope still ginger poking through...

Back I went into the bathroom as the light had changed - does it look metallic grey??? Just shinier looking! No one at the office has mentioned my hair colour, either they are just too polite to mention the colour disaster or not very observant :-) 

Oh well lesson learnt here - if you want to go from Black to Ginger I can recommend Ombre kit. First attempt did not fry my hair and left it in a soft condition. 
twosp x 





Comments

Popular Posts